Friday, November 21, 2008

Leaving the Nest......well, sort of.



Yesterday my 2 babies started preschool. Now mind you, these are the same 2 babies that have NEVER been left with a babysitter that wasn't a close family member. I think that I was more nervous than they were. One reason is that Jack just got a series of shots the day before.

We had been talking up "school" for a while. We had new backpacks and lunch boxes. Very exciting for a 2 1/2 year old little girl. Not so exciting for a 1 1/2 year old boy.

Of course on this particular morning they decided to sleep in. Okay, every other day they are up about 7:30. It never fails, if something is planned for the morning they decide to hybernate. We needed to be at school by 9. They wake up at 8:15.
When we got there we had to go into the office to find out where the classes were. Not good, there were phones in the office. Jack is OBSESSED with phones. Especially office phones with lots of buttons. He wanted them, couldn't get them, started screaming. Wow, this is a great start!

I dropped Jack off first. He wasn't quite sure about what was going on. Thank goodness he knew 2 kids in his class.

Hannah was a trooper. All she said was food and pointed to her backpack. We got her juice out and she was fine.
Boy was this house empty when I got home. Not that I didn't take full advantage of time to myself.

When I picked them up Hannah was still asleep so I went to Jack's class. I was a little nervous to find out how he did.

Me: So, how did Jack do?
Teacher: He did pretty good considering it was his first day.
Me: So it wasn't that hard on you guys?
Teacher: Well, he does get into a lot of things like the garbage can, the wipees and he likes to climb.
Me: (thinking of saying Gee, he doesn't do that at home, but knowing that we ARE in a church) Yeah, that can get kind of hard.
Teacher: Don't worry, he'll get better.

Hannah was still asleep. Instead of sleeping on her mat, only her head was on it. Kinda like a giant pillow. Apparently she did amazingly well. She played with other kids and ate a great lunch. Oh yeah, Jack didn't eat his lunch. The only thing he like were some dehydrated peas that none of the other kids liked. Go figure.

Now, I'd like to think that I am this awesome organized mom who always takes the perfect pictures but let's be realistic. I didn't take any pictures when I dropped them off because we were ALL frazzled. I did, however, manage a couple as we were leaving. Hence Hannah's 'I just woke up look'.

I guess she liked it because this morning she brought me her ack-ack (backpack) and I asked her if she wanted to go to school and she said Uh-HUH. Now I've got to figure out how to tell her it's only Tuesday and Thursday. Jack, well, he's not so excited. When asked if he wanted to go back to school he said Uh-uh.

No comments: